Buying a Buddleja
- 2-3l pot (6-7”) are the best buys
- Medium height Buddleja 30cm (12”) x 20cm (8”) across. Plants would be taller if in flower.
- Don’t buy plugs
- Healthy and bushy
- A framework of new shoots coming away from the base of the plant
- Good root system. Plants may appear pot bound but the roots can be teased out at the base.
- No pests and diseases
- Buy mid March to end of October
- If you buy in the winter keep in a glasshouse until the spring
- Labelled true to name
Also of interest this data is from the USA would also apply to the EU
The number of seedlings germinated from a 0.1 gram subsample, and the predicted number (extrapolated) of germinant from two entire panicles.
The USDA does not list or control Invasive plants. This is done on a state level. You can see the Oregon Department of Agriculture Sterile Buddleia list at http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PROGRAMS/NURSERYCHRISTMASTREE/Pages/ButterflyBush.aspx
|Cultivar/Selection name||# Germinated per 0.1 gram sowed
|Seeds germinated per 2 panicles
* Values shown represent the averages of 5 single plant replications.